When you’re behind the wheel, driving safety should always be a top concern. As the weather turns, we must make a conscious decision to incr...
The One Item You Need to Add to Your Emergency Kit
Everyone should carry an emergency kit in their car. You hope to never have to use one, but in the event of a road side emergency, it could save your life and the lives of your passengers.
But what is the one item that could take you from an emergency situation to safe at home? A compact portable jump starter.
Instead of having to wait for help or call road-side assistance, this item makes it easy to start your car if your battery’s dead. Beyond this, portable jump starters can also recharge your phone in the event of an emergency.
What Else Should You Pack?
Off-the-shelf kits are available but they don’t always have everything you need and the items inside may lack quality. The best way to ensure you have the right items is to assemble the kit yourself.
When building your kit, start with our list below and then keep adding based on your own needs.
- Battery powered radio
- Matches and small candles
- Necessary medications
- Road salt, sand, or cat litter for traction
- Fluorescent distress flag and whistle to attract attention
- Windshield scraper and small broom
- Extra hats, socks and mittens
- Blankets or sleeping bag
- Booster cables
- Cell phone adapter/charger to plug into lighter
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Snack food including energy bars
- First aid kit with pocket knife
- Tow chain or rope
- Emergency flares and reflectors
- Compact portable jump starter
The key to staying safe is driving safe, but in the event something happens, having an emergency kit could be the difference between life and death.